Posted 1 month ago
The Director of Operations is responsible for overseeing and managing the day to day operations of the public transit service. This position provides direction and guidance to supervisors and front-line staff establishing and emphasizing a culture of safety and customer service. An important role of this position is the responsibility of establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other transit departments, city departments, subordinates, and the general public in order to promote and maintain an effective and efficient public transit service.
Essential Functions / Process Responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned as necessary:
- Maintains an effective working relationship and communication with the General Manager, peers and subordinates.
- Responsible for hiring, training, managing and development of operations personnel.
- Ability to build effective relationships, respond to union grievances, assist in arbitration, and interpret the union contract, where applicable.
- Oversees and manages through direct reports the daily operations and customer service of the transit system.
- Monitors data of ongoing ridership, fare collection, and key indicators to identify, evaluate, and improve performance. Creates reporting and analysis to improve overall operations.
- Ensures that operations are consistent with adopted policies, governmental regulations, and the transit interests of the public.
- Responsible for reviewing and maintaining accident investigations and customer complaints.
- Responsible for managing within the division’s allocated budget.
- Formulates and maintains the SSEPP
- Is available to the client’s staff, advisory and advocacy boards, outside organizations, and the riding public.
- Ability to function as the General Manager in the GM’s absence.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, preferably in the transit industry.
- Minimum 3 years’ operations management/supervisor experience in transit operations.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills including experience in presenting and speaking to groups.
- Must have excellent computer skills including Word and Excel spreadsheets.
- Experience in working with local governments or municipalities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective relationships.
- Working knowledge of compliance standards in related areas: FTA, FMCSA, DOT, OSHA, Homeland Security and other state/local regulating bodies.
- Experience in management of daily transit operations, maintenance, personnel management, transportation safety, and transit regulatory requirements.
- Experience utilizing data to identify trends in the business that support strategic and tactical adjustments to ongoing operations.