Posted 1 month ago
Oversees and develops all policies and programs related to the safety and security of all personnel, equipment and facilities. This position provides direction and guidance to supervisors and front-line staff establishing and emphasizing a culture of safety and customer service. An important role of this position is the responsibility of establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other transit departments, city departments, subordinates, and the general public in order to promote and maintain an effective and efficient public transit service. Ensures the administration and formulating of safety policies/procedures, programs and practices. Includes managing and coaching performance of front line supervisors, managers and administrative staff.
Essential Functions / Process Responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned as necessary:
• Maintains an effective working relationship and communication with the General Manager, peers and subordinates.
• Administers, develops, recommends and implements various safety policies and procedures.
• Administers all new hire training, re-training and compliance training for system employees, to include vehicle operations.
• Updating all SDS sheets
• Develops and administers new training in response to changes and modifications to equipment and policy.
• Directs all Safety/Security Programs, including training-related programs and supervisory responsibilities.
• Updates the Emergency Action & Evacuation Plan for system.
• Investigates and reviews vehicular accidents to determine preventability; assists in claims management.
• Manages or assists in matters relating to Workers Compensation, Drug & Alcohol, Employee Assistance Program to ensure agency’s compliance and employee concerns are handled in a timely manner.
• Maintains and oversees all safety and safety related equipment in the fleet and facility.
• Diligence and precision in record keeping to ensure all training is scheduled, performed, and kept up-to-date.
• Prepares and formulates written correspondence, operational safety bulletins and notices.
• Analyzes data and records to identify areas in need of improvement or areas that are excelling.
• Conducts employee disciplinary review hearings and preliminary fact-finding investigations arising from safety infractions/preventable accidents and/or violations of drug and alcohol policies.
• Represents safety for the transit system; friendly, approachable and available to system employees and the public; held to the highest safety standards as to be an example.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree with course work in Education/Business Administration/Management/Safety, or equivalent experience.
• 3 years’ managerial position directing duties and/or responsibilities of supervisory staff.
• Expertise of the systems, policies, procedures, and regulations that apply to the transit system.
• Hold or acquire all licenses and certificates necessary for training which should include, at a minimum, certification to train CPR, First Aid, and ability to provide Drug and Alcohol Awareness; experience administering driver training.
• Extensive knowledge of driving and motor vehicle laws and regulations.
• Understanding of regulations set forth by applicable DOT, FTA, Homeland Security, OSHA, EEOC, ADA, NLRA, FLSA and any other regulatory entity that may apply.
• Detailed knowledge of the geographical layout of the transit area of operation.
• Knowledge of communication equipment and the proper use thereof.
• Knowledge of all safety equipment and the operation and maintenance thereof.
• Ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written communication.
• Ability to apply independent judgment and initiative in developing solutions.
• Proficient in MS Word, Internet, Outlook, Excel; PowerPoint is a plus.