Posted 1 month ago
Responsible for the overall management of the transit system. The General Manager provides oversight, direction, and coordination of staff in the provision of cost effective, efficient and reliable transit services. This work is done within available financial resources in compliance with governmental regulations and directives from senior management and client. This position is responsible for maintaining effective working relationships within the system as well as the firm’s constituents (passengers, general public, employers, governmental agencies, elected officials, and transportation advisory boards) in order to promote financial and public support for the transit services.
Essential Functions/Process Responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned as necessary:
- Responsible for maintaining compliance with company policies and the client’s rules/directives, managing within the agency’s allocated budget, and responding to client’s requests for information/directives.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships and effective communications with client’s staff, advisory and advocacy boards, community organizations and constituents/consumers.
- Ensures that all activities are consistent with adopted policies, governmental regulations, and the transit interests of the public, company, client, and governmental body.
- Oversight of all personnel development activities to include: hiring, continuing education, and promotion of team members.
- Conducts systems and process planning as it relates to budget forecasting, organization, personnel development, and marketing strategies.
- Possesses a precise comprehension of Organization and Company Structure as it relates to the client, municipality, service area, and overall responsibility of the transit system or agency.
- Monitors data of ongoing service, maintenance and training activities to identify, evaluate, and improve performance. Creates reporting and analysis to improve overall performance.
- Directs and facilitates the flow of funding from Federal, State, Local, and Business Transit Partners.
- Manages and has an overall knowledge of regulatory compliance with Federal, State, and Local Agencies.
- Responds to legal actions including involvement with client, insurance, and company attorneys to defend the client and company against employment and liability claims.
- Directs the reporting of financial, human resource, customer service, maintenance, operations, training, safety and security functions of the transit system or agency for company, client, and governmental body.
- Administers compliance and interpretation of union labor agreement, including specified grievance process. Participates and has an active role in arbitrations involving pending grievances, where applicable.
- Negotiates or assists Chief Negotiator during collective bargaining process and negotiations, where applicable.
- Functions as a tactful communicator and motivator that identifies problem solving and resolution matters associated with the overall safety and well-being of the operation and transit service.
- Functions as a support liaison to facilitate communication and resolution of issues between customer, vendors, internal departments, and local municipal agencies; functions as the spokesperson for the agency and the company for all public relations matters.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, preferably in the transit industry.
- Minimum 5 years related industry experience.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills including experience in presenting and speaking to groups.
- Must have excellent computer skills including Word and Excel spreadsheets.
- Experience in working with local governments or municipalities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective relationships.
- Working knowledge of compliance standards in related areas: FTA, FMCSA, DOT, OSHA, Homeland Security and other state/local regulating bodies.
- Management experience in union environment preferable.
- Management experience in daily operation of transit operations, maintenance, finance, personnel management, labor relations, transportation safety, and transit regulatory requirements.
- Experience utilizing data to identify trends in the business that support strategic and tactical adjustments to ongoing operations.